Today was Okkupazione Day at NYU. It's a day required to sign up and register for 2 Italian classes for fun. My classes were "L'Arte dell' Uncinetto con le Nonne di Firenze" and "Artigianato a Firenze: la Carta Marmorizzata" (crochet with real Nonnas (!) and marble-paper making). Coincidentally, my roommates and I had signed up for the same classes. It ended up a really fun experience.
To much of my dismay, I found out I will never be one of those cute crocheting Grandmas one day. I am pretty hopeless at mastering the art of crochet or uncinetto. It took me a laborious hour and a half to end up with sad 5 inch piece of fuzzy purple material. It made me greatly appreciate the many beautiful knitted and crocheted blankets my great-grandma made for our family. At least I learned some new Italian knitting and crochetting vocabulary...
To much of my dismay, I found out I will never be one of those cute crocheting Grandmas one day. I am pretty hopeless at mastering the art of crochet or uncinetto. It took me a laborious hour and a half to end up with sad 5 inch piece of fuzzy purple material. It made me greatly appreciate the many beautiful knitted and crocheted blankets my great-grandma made for our family. At least I learned some new Italian knitting and crochetting vocabulary...
knitting needles - i ferri
crochetting needles - l'uncinetto
yarn - il gomitolo
knitting - maglia
Traditional Florentine handmade marble paper making or la carta mamorizzata was so much fun! "Alberto Cozzi," a Florentine marble paper shop in business since 1908, came in to teach us how to make our own marble paper. While marbled-paper making survives today almost exclusively in Florence, its roots can be traced back to 15th century Turkey, where marbled paper making was known as ebru, or the art of the clouds. Marble paper was considered sacred and Islamic law forbade its ripping, burning or otherwise unauthorized disposal. In 17th-century France, Louis XIII found marble paper to be the only paper fit for a king.
Cosa fa per fare la carta marmorizzata?
Primo, prepara il colore e batte il colore con il pennello.
Dopo, usa il pettine.
Next, use the comb.
Mette il foglio di carta nella vasca. Lavora il folio in base al disegno. Toglie il foglio della vasca!
Put the paper on top of the water vat, work the paper on top of the design. Take out the paper!
Il mio prodotto finito!! My finished product!!
0 comments:
Post a Comment