Recent Posts

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

it's OK to be sad sometimes.

After weeks of preparation, months of anticipation, it's finally come. It's 12 am, August 18, the day I leave for a semester in Florence, Italy. And while I am so excited for an experience of a lifetime, I can't help but be sad. Watching my boyfriend drive away, buying my last ticket home from New York City, seeing my grandmother start to cry, even leaving my internship I so adored and taking the elevator down to the lobby of the building...


...saying goodbye to something you really and truly love can be so painful and hard.


I know, I know, I know. "I have so much to look forward to." It's true. I have never been to Europe. And at this very moment, writing this on the couch of my TV room, I can't even fathom seeing the art and architecture I've only read about and seen on shoddy projection screens in Art History class. This Wednesday, I will be in Rome! Friday, I will be in Foggia, visiting lots of family and seeing the city where my Nonna grew up in wartorn Italy. this we
ekend, I will be in Ravenna with more family and finally on Tuesday I will be in Florence to start school. I know it will be tremendously exciting and I'll have an amazing time.

But right now, right now, I think it's OK to be sad. It was such an amazing summer. It's hard to say goodbye to it.

I'll miss you.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

it is sad, but the silver lining in that is... you are blessed enough to have all of those things to miss. you have a family who loves you, a great boyfriend, friends who will miss you terribly and a great home city.

That's the bright side i suppose- you have some wonderful things in your life... things WORTH missing, and that's amazing!


love you alex. <3
i'll miss you so much again this semester.

that's how i know we're great friends... we can be apart for a whole year and bounce back, where other friends may disappear. xoxox

fred said...

it's funny; we knew this day has been coming since summer started...can you believe it's finally here?

how you're feeling is totally normal..you have no idea of what awaits you--but i promise you that it's going to be amazing. also, you're lucky to at least you have a new world to distract you in the meantime..

so..i guess i better get used to my Skype account again...it's been rusty for the past 3 months...and, i guess i'll have to start getting used to being a nyc tourist alone, with no one to go see sites with..

and yes, alex, it's definitely OK to be sad.

i cannot wait see you in december! it will be here in no time and you'll wonder where firenze went...ciao amore!

Unknown said...

Enjoy this wonderful opportunity! I am very proud of your accomplishments! Time will go by quickly so savor every minute of it! Have fun and be safe! Love, Lisa xoxo

Anonymous said...

its OK to be sad...its a part of life. I know you will look back one day at this amazing experience and be grateful for this time in your life...have so much fun! Love Always, Mom & Dadxoxox

Post a Comment