I feel like my life only moves forward when I'm back in New York. At home in the suburbs I feel like everything is put on pause and can only be turned back on when I am in the City. I was feeling pretty bummed out, bored, and pretty useless on the morning of January 6th. But that feeling quickly faded when I woke up from a mid-day nap and arbitrarily checked my g-mail, getting a message I had never expected. There, in my inbox was a interview request for an advertising internship Louis Vuitton's corporate office. Louis Vuitton. The same Louis Vuitton on Fifth Avenue I had oh-so-cheesily posed in front of as a tourist just a week before with my Italian cousins who stayed with us this break. Me? They want me to come in for an interview? I sent in my resume months before with little hope of it actually going somewhere. But it went somewhere...
That Wednesday morning, I took the train into the city for the interview. I stepped out of Penn Station and suddenly decided my outfit was all wrong. I freaked out and ran into Macy's Herald Square. I ran up to a saleswoman and frantically explained my situation. I desperately tried on different outfits in the dressing. I stepped out of Macy's 30 minutes later in an outfit completely different than what I had on before. New tailored black pants, a hot pink silk ruffled top, a black embroidered jacket, and my mother's Stewart Weitzman black suede high heeled boots (I had stolen from her closet that morning shh...). Ok, so I was out $-168 but now i was definently ready to take on Louis despite the fact that he may be out of my league. Despite the fact that I was currently with my Marc. (Jacobs bag, that is).
As I power-walked to the subway, it began to snow as I simultaneously realized, "shit! Where do i put the clothes I was wearing?" I stuffed my clothes as neatly as i could into my bag and hopped into the subway. I was anxious and got off at a stop too early. I had 15 minutes to get to Louis Vuitton and I was 5 avenues away!!!!!
Ahhhh!!!! I frantically jumped into a cab. "Ah, you look very nervous my friend. Are you running late?" Asked the turban wearing cabby.
"Yes. I have a job interview."
"Hwhoaa a jobb intear-view? Good luck, my friend. I pray for you. You will get job. No worries. I pray for you" I thanked him greatly for his speediness, his prayers.."I'll need them!" and ran into the building. After a long security check and the slowest elevator ride later, I found myself stepping into the very magnificent, very chic, very...bright white... office where I was met by a pretty blonde model-like woman, who couldn't be older than 27. It was Brielle from the email. She greeted me and led me into a very beautiful, glass paneled office overlooking The Plaza Hotel and Central Park East. As expected, it was straight out of Devil Wears Prada.
She and a brunette girl sat down across from me and described the job. They asked me about my background, why I was interested, some questions on how I could apply my Politics studies to advertising, and what I knew about LV ad campaigns. I thought of the website I briefly browsed the night before. I vaguely remembered some old fat guy on a dock on a tropical island with a Louis Vuitton briefcase. I remember thinking how stupid and pretentious he looked.
"Yes, I've seen your ads in magazines. Most recently, um that old man on the dock with the briefcase? for the Winter Getaway campaign?" They nodded their heads encouragingly. I should have stopped there. But then I stupidly continued. "I thought it might have been Louis Vuitton but then I realized 'hmm, Louis Vuitton is probably not alive!" What a lame attempt at a joke. Ugh. Only me.
The brunette looked at me like I was an idiot. "It's Sean Connery," she said in complete seriousness. I would later learn the ad was her idea. Brielle, however, seemed amused, "haha yes, Louis Vuitton hasn't been alive for a long time." I smiled back at her nervously. After some more questions about my availability and school credit, the interview was over. I shook their hands and left. I stepped out of the building feeling a bit defeated.
Well, that was a major fail. They definently didnt like me, I thought to myself. What a waste. Why did i let myself get so excited? I am an idiot. Yep. How did I think I had a chance? And how the hell was I supposed to know that's what Sean Connery looks now? It's only how he looked in his Bond days that really matter anyway, right? Oh well, at least it was an experience.
I decided to sulk my sorrows in spending. I walked into Henri Bendel, picked up $150 headband, tried it on, put it down sadly, and walked out. Even shopping up here makes me feel defeated, I thought.
I was not expecting the email that came two days later from Brielle asking me to come in for a second interview with their Director of Advertising. This interview went well but it was much more intimidating. The questions were more targeted and specific. I told him how I have always had extreme respect and admiration for beautiful ads. how i could recall ripping up my mother's Vogue when I was little, collecting the ads I thought were beautiful (still true). Overall, it went well. But I don't want to get excited just yet. I am careful not to get my hopes up (that's a lie). The third email came last Friday. They have asked me to come in for a final interview with the Senior Vice President.......... Merde. ok ok but if i dont get it (likely) it was a good experience (i guess)...interviews suck. i'm a good actress though. if i dont get it i'm back to meri---off properties...far less glamourous...no GQ model parties or kate moss look a likes walking around in that office, that's for sure.
anywayz i love this...
From Tisch to Broadway to Stellar Nebula: Niambi Ra’s Journey to Her Debut
Album
-
*After more than a decade on Broadway in The Book of Mormon, the Tisch alum
reflects on how NYU shaped her artistry and led to her debut album.*Photo
by Al...
6 months ago
1 comments:
you got way cooler when i left ny.. louis vuitton? :) fancy
Post a Comment